Build

The two companies merged to become the Cunard-White Star Line. The new company resumed work on the new ship at John Brown. Elsewhere and with less fanfare, the company embarked on a near ruthless campaign of rationalising the combined fleet with many famous ships, including the Mauretania and the White Star Line's Olympic, destined for the scrapyard. On 26 September 1934 the ship was launched by Her Majesty Queen Mary, and named the Queen Mary. In the following 18 months her boilers, engines and auxiliary machinery, fixtures and fittings were installed aboard the vessel. Windows were cut into the her hull plating, her funnels and masts were installed, and her hull painted with over 70,000 gallons of paint. Work was fast nearing a conclusion with the new ship readied to leave the shipyard to begin her commercial service. That day arrived on 24 March 1936, when the Queen Mary was slowly maneuvered by tugs down the River Clyde, which had been specially dredged to accommodate the new ship's draught. Despite this, and removing excess weight, the Queen Mary's stern ran aground, albeit momentarily. After leaving the Clyde she sailed for Southampton, arriving on 27 March.